- "Han gav henne pension"
- "This will give me troubles"
- "The French doors give onto a terrace"
- "give a divorce"
- "give a secret to the Russians"
- "The cow won't give much milk"
- "Both sides have to give in these negociations"
- "don't give the child this tough meat"
- "hold a reception," "have, throw, or make a party", "give a course , etc."
cause to have, in the abstract sense or physical sense: "She gave him a black eye"
- "The draft gave me a cold"
transfer possession of something concrete or abstract to somebody
- "I gave her my money"
- "can you give me lessons?" "She gave the children lots of love and tender loving care"
convey or reveal information
- "Give one's name"
convey, as of a compliment, regards, attention, etc.; bestow
- "give the orders"
- "Give him my best regards"
convey or communicate; of a smile, a look, a physical gesture
- "She gave me a dirty look"
leave with; give temporarily: "Can I give you my keys while I go in the pool?" "Can I give you the children for the weekend?"
emit or utter
- "Give a gulp"
- "give a yelp"
give, as of medicine
- "I gave him the drug"
give or convey physically: "She gave him First Aid"
- "I gave him a punch in the nose"
- [ ALLMÄNT ]
- "give hommage"
estimate the duration or outcome of something
- "He gave the patient three months to live"
- "I gave him a very good chance at success"
execute and deliver
- "Give bond"
deliver in exchange or recompense: "I'll give you three books for four CDs"
present to view
- "He gave the sign to start"
perform for an audience
- "Pollini is giving another concert in New York"
be flexible under stress of physical force
- "This material doesn't give"
propose as a toast
legal use: accord by verdict
- "give a decision for the plaintiff"
manifest or show
- "This student gives promise of real creativity"
- "The office gave evidence of tampering"
offer in good faith
- "He gave her his word"
submit for consideration, judgment, or use; 'give an excuse"
- "give one's opinion"
guide or direct, as by behavior of persuasion: "You gave me to think that you agreed with me"
allow to have or take
- "I give you two minutes to respond"
inflict as a punishment
- "She gave the boy a good spanking"
- "The judge gave me 10 years"
- "what gives? (slang)"
consent to engage in sexual intercourse with a man
- "She gave herself to many men"
proffer, as of a body part
- "She gave her hand to her little sister"