the quality of a person's voice
- "he spoke in a nervous tone of voice"
- "he began in a conversational tone"
- "the muffled tones of the broken bell summoned them to meet"
- "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"
a pitch or change in pitch of the voice that serves to distinguish words in tonal languages
- "the Beijing dialect uses four tones"
the quality of something (an act or a piece of writing) that reveals the attitudes and presuppositions of the author
- "from the tone of her behavior I gathered that I had outstayed my welcome"
- "the general tone of articles appearing in the newspapers is that the government should withdraw"
a steady sound without overtones
- "they tested his hearing with pure tones of different frequencies"
the definition and firmness of a muscle or organ
- muskelstyrka [ anatomi ]