a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography) a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function
- "the spacious cooking area provided plenty of room for servants"
- "the church was the only building in the whole area"
- "it was a mountainous area"
the extent of a 2-dimensional surface enclosed within a boundary
- "it was about 500 square feet in area"
- "the area of a rectangle"