- "The attempt to rescue the hostages failed miserably"
- "Where do today's public schools fail?"
disappoint, prove undependable to; abandon, forsake
- "His children failed him in the crisis"
- "His strength finally failed him"
- "His sense of smell failed him this time"
stop operating or functioning
- "The engine failed on the way to town"
- "The coffe maker failed"
- "I fail to understand your motives"
- vara oförmögen
- [ vardagligt ]
- "The water supply for the town failed after a long drought"
- "Her health is declining"
fail to do something; leave something undone
- "The secretary failed to call the customer and the company lost the account"
- "She failed to notice that her child was no longer in his crib"