trying something to find out about it
- "a sample for ten days free trial"
- "a trial of progesterone failed to relieve the pain"
- "he called each flip of the coin a new trial"
- "in the experimental trials the amount of carbon was measured separately"
- "candidates must compete in a trial of skill"
(law) legal proceedings consisting of the judicial examination of issues by a competent tribunal (law) the determination of a person's innocence or guilt by due process of law
- "he had a fair trial and the jury found him guilty"
- "most of these complaints are settled before they go to trial"
(sports) a preliminary competition to determine qualifications
- "the trials for the semifinals began yesterday"
an annoying or frustrating event
- "his mother-in-law's visits were a great trial for him"