a small amount of liquid food: "a sup of ale"
the act of swallowing
- "one swallow of the liquid was enough"
small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations
pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking
- "Swallow the raw fish--it won't kill you!"
engulf and destroy, as if by ingestion: "The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries"
- "She swallowed the last words of her speech"
keep from expressing
- "I swallowed my anger and kept quiet"
believe or accept without questioning or challenge
- "Am I supposed to swallow that story?"