interpret something that is written or printed
- "Can you read Greek?"
- "Have you read Salman Rushdie?"
- "read the advertisement"
have or contain a certain wording or form
- "The passage reads as follows"
look at, interpreted, and say out loud something that is written or printed
- "The proclamation will be read"
- läsa upp
obtain data from magnetic tapes
- "This dictionary can be read by the computer"
interpret the significance of, as of palms, tea leaves, intestines, the sky, etc.; also of human behavior
- "I can't read his strange behavior"
- "She read the sky and predicted rain"
indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
- "The gauge read `empty'"
to hear and understand
- "I read you loud and clear!"
having been read; often used in combination
- "a widely read newspaper"