(usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others
- "Tennessee Valley Authority"
- "the authorities have issued a curfew"
the power to exercise authoritative or dominating control or influence over
- "he has the authority to issue warrants"
a grant of authority to the executive branch of government to spend money for specified purposes
- "authority for the program was renewed several times"
an authoritative written work
- "this book is the final authority on the life of Milton"