having little length or lacking in length
- "the board was a foot short"
- "a short toss"
- "short skirts"
- "short hair"
not having enough; not holding securities or commodities that one sells in expectation of a fall in prices
- "a short sale"
- "money is short"
- "short in cotton"
- "regularly gives short weight"
unwilling to endure; unwilling to show patience
- "the salesgirl was very short with him"
- "she was short with the slower students"
containing a large amount of shortening; therefore tender and easy to crumble or break into flakes
- "a short flaky pie crust"
- "shortbread is a short crumbly cookie"
(phonetics) of relatively short duration (as e.g. the English vowel sounds in `pat', `pet', `pit', `pot', putt')