any object that is left unused or still extant
- "I threw out the remains of my dinner"
be left; of persons, questions, problems, results, evidence, etc.
- "There remains the question of who pulled the trigger"
- "Carter remains the only President in recent history under whose Presidency the U.S. did not fight a war"
- "The hostility remained long after they made up"
- "Despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"
- "He remained unmoved by her tears"
- "The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"