an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals)
- "the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph --Thomas Paine"
- "the familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats"
opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible feelings a state of opposition between persons or ideas or interests
- "a conflict of loyalties"
- "his conflict of interest made him ineligible for the post"
- "he was immobilized by conflict and indecision"
an incompatibility of dates or events
- "he noticed a conflict in the dates of the two meetings"
opposition in a work of drama or fiction between characters or forces (especially an opposition that motivates the development of the plot)
- "this form of conflict is essential to Mann's writing"