a fact that has been verified a true statement
- "he thought of answering with the truth but he knew they wouldn't believe it"
- "he told the truth"
- "the truth is the he didn't want to do it"
- "at last he knew the truth"
conformity to reality or actuality
- "he turned to religion in his search for eternal verities"
- "he was famous for the truth of his portraits"
- "the situation brought home to us the blunt truth of the military threat"
- "they debated the truth of the proposition"
- "he was beginning to doubt the truth of his compass"