the first or highest in an ordering or series: "He wanted to be the first"
(Great Britain) an honours degree of the highest class
Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams
preceding all others in time or space or degree
- "his first (or maiden) speech in Congress"
- "the first phase of his training"
- "the first meetings of the new party"
- "the first time"
- "her first baby"
- "his first political race"
- "the first day of spring"
- "the first house on the right"
indicating the beginning unit in a series
ranking above all others
- "was first in her class"
(music) highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections
- "played first horn"
- "the first violin section"
- "first soprano"
being the gear producing the lowest drive speed
- "use first gear on steep hills"
i första hand; före allt annat
- "first we must consider the garter snake"
the initial time
- "when Felix first saw a garter snake"
- första gången någonsin
before another in time, space, or importance
- "let's do this job first"
- "I was here first"