a special situation
- "it is a remarkable thing"
- "this thing has got to end"
- "how could you do such a thing?"
- "how does this thing work?"
an event: "a funny thing happened on the way to the..."
a statement regarded as an object
- "to say the same thing in other terms" or "how can you say such a thing?"
any attribute or quality considered as having its own existence: "the thing I like about her is ..."
a special abstraction
- "a thing of the spirit"
- "things of the heart"
an entity that is not named specifically
- "I couldn't tell what the thing was"
a special objective: "the thing is to stay in bounds"
a persistent illogical feeling of desire or aversion: "he has a thing about seafood"
- "she has a thing about him"