- "Smoke swelled from it"
increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity
- "The music swelled to a crescendo"
become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger
- "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
cause to become swollen
- "The water swells the wood"
- "so swollen by victory that he was unfit for normal duty"
- "swollen hands"
- "swollen rivers and creeks"
- "huge blood-swollen mosquitoes"
- "the raisins were plump and soft and swollen from being soaked"
- "the need to clean out swollen inventories"
- "growing ever more swollen-headed and arbitrary"