- "he threw away the rest"
- "people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
- "The chef saved the rest for the next day"
euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb)
- "she was laid to rest beside her husband"
a support on which things can be put
- "the gun was steadied on a special rest"
a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration
not move; be in a resting position
give a rest to
- "He rested his bad leg"
- "Rest the dogs for a moment"
be at rest
be inherent or innate in;
put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying
- "Rest your head on my shoulder"
be inactive, refrain from acting on something