an explanation of the cause of some phenomenon
- "the reason a steady state was never reached was that the back pressure built up too slowly"
- "he had to rely less on reason than on rousing their emotions"
- "The reason they survive was a security belt"
- "There is no reason to cry."
- "Give me your reasons for thinking what you think"
- "There is reason to believe..."
the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination
- "we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
a fact that logically justifies some premise or conclusion
- "there is reason to believe he is lying"
decide by reasoning; draw or come to a conclusion
- "We reasoned that it was cheaper to rent than to buy a house"