- "I wouldn't put it that way"
- "I put these memories with those of bygone times"
- "Put money into bonds"
put into a certain place: "Put your things here"; also with abstract objects and locations: "Place emphasis on a certain point"
cause to be in a certain state; cause to be in a certain relation
- "That song put me in awful good humor."
put something on or into (abstractly) assign;
- "She put much emphasis on her the last statement"
- "He put all his efforts into this job"
- "The teacher put an interesting twist to the interpretation of the story"
cause (someone) to undergo something
- "He put her to the torture"
- "put these words to music"