- "they had no protection from the fallout"
- "insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness"
- "wax provided protection for the floors"
the activity of protecting someone or something the condition of being protected
- "he enjoyed a sense of peace and protection in his new home"
- "they were huddled together for protection"
- "the witnesses demanded police protection"
the imposition of duties or quotas on imports in order to protect domestic industry against foreign competition
- "he made trade protection a plank in the party platform"
payment extorted by gangsters on threat of violence
- "every store in the neighborhood had to pay him protection"