cut or make a way through
- "Light pierced through the forest"
- "The path pierced the jungle"
- "the knife cut through the flesh"
move or affect (a person's emotions, bodily feelings, etc.) deeply or sharply
- "Her words pierced the students"
- "The cold pierced her bones"
sound sharply or shrilly
- "The scream pierced the night"
penetrate or cut through with a sharp instrument
make a hole into
- "The needle pierced her flesh"
- "the piercing needle"
- "piercing criticism"
- "piercing cold"
- "piercing knifelike pains"
loud and sharp
- "the piercing shriek of sirens"