take and lift upward; take up by hand
- "He picked up the book and started to read"
give a passenger or a hitchhiker a lift
- skjutsa [ samfärdsel ]
get in addition, as an increase
- "The candidate picked up thousands of votes after his visit to the nursing home"
buy casually or spontaneously
- "I picked up some food for a snack"
of perceptual input: receive a signal, receive news, receive a verdict, etc.
lift out or reflect from a background, as of a color
- "His eyes picked up his smile"
- "The scarf picks up the color of the skirt"