an open or empty space in or between things a vacant or unobstructed space
- "they left a small opening for the cat at the bottom of the door"
- "there was a small opening between the trees"
- öppning [ allmänt ]
The first performance of a show or play by a particular troupe
- "the opening received good critical reviews"
- premiär [ teater ]
opportunity especially for employment or promotion
- "there is an opening in the sales department"
- "the door opens to the patio"
- "open the map"
cause to open or to become open
- "Mary opened the car door"
start to operate or function or cause to start operating or functioning
- "open a business"
- "The door opened"
begin or set in action, of meetings, speeches, recitals, etc.
- "He opened the meeting with a long speech"
make available, as of an opportunity
- "This opens up new possibilities"
- "an opportunity opened up"
have an opening or passage or outlet
- "The bedrooms open into the hall"
make the opening move, in chess
- "Kasparov opened with a standard opening"
display the contents of a file or start an application