the verbal act of offering something offered (as a proposal or bid)
- "noteworthy new offerings for investors included several index funds"
- "a generous offer of assitance"
- "I offered to help with the dishes but the hostess would not hear of it"
- "offer resistance"
- "The bank offers a good deal on new mortgages"
make available or accessible, provide or furnish
- "The hotel offers private meeting rooms"
- "The conference center offers a health spa"
present for acceptance or rejection;
- "She offered us all a cold drink"
put forward for consideration
- "He offered his opinion"
offer verbally: "extend my greetings"
- "He offered his sympathy"
make available for sale
- "The stores are offering specials on sweaters this week"
propose a payment; as at sales or auctions
- "The Swiss dealer offered $2 million for the painting"
produce or introduce on the stage
- "The Shakespeare Company is offering "King Lear" this month"
present as an act of worship
- "offer prayers to the gods"
threaten to do something: "I offered to leave the committee if they did not accpet my proposal"