the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals a concept of quantity derived from zero and units
- "every number has a unique position in the sequence"
- "the number of parameters is small"
- "he had a number of chores to do"
- "he has an unlisted number"
- "it was one of the best numbers he ever did"
i.e. a theatrical number
- "the acrobats did their number in the circus ring"
- nummer [ teater ]
a numeral or string of numerals that is used for identification
- "the support desk asked her for the serial number"
- serienummer [ teknik ]
- "her (telephone) number was not listed"
- telefonnummer [ telefoni ]
- "she bought the last number of the magazine"
a select company of people
- "I hope to become one of their number before I die"
- krets Ungefär [ sociologi ]
an item of merchandise offered for sale
- "this sweater is an all-wool number"
- "she preferred the black nylon number"
- artikel [ handel ]
(informal) a clothing measurement
(linguistics) the grammatical category for the forms of nouns and pronouns and verbs that are used depending on the number of entities involved (singular or dual or plural)
- "in English the subject and the verb must agree in number"