(games) a player's turn to move a piece or take some other permitted action
- "his move put him directly in my path"
- "the movement of people from the farms to the cities"
- "the reflex movements of his eyebrows revealed his surprise"
- "That was a very clever move"
cause to move
- "The basketball player moved from one team to another"
- "We moved from Idaho to Nebraska"
- "Move those boxes into the corner, please"
move so as to change position, as of a body part (nontranslational motion):
- ""He moved his hand slightly to the right""
go or proceed from one point to another
- "the debate moved from family values to the economy"
dispose of by selling
- "The chairman of the company told the salesmen to move the computers"
live one's life in a specified environment
- "We must move quickly"
- "The soldiers moved towards the city in an attempt to take it before night fell"
- "she moves in certain circles only"
- röra sig
- "Here is a drawing of the mechanism that moves the locomotive"
- "This moved me to sacrifice my career"
- "The water moves the mill-wheel"
arouse sympathy or compassion in change residence, affiliation, or place of employment
- "Her fate moved us all"