producing or capable of producing an intended result or having a striking effect able to accomplish a purpose; functioning effectively works well as a means or remedy
- "a lotion that is effective in cases of prickly heat"
- "an effective reprimand"
- "effective personnel"
- "people who will do nothing unless they get something out of it for themselves are often highly effective persons... -G.B.Shaw"
- "made an effective entrance"
- "effective steps toward peace"
- "effective teaching methods"
- "an air-cooled motor was more effective than a witch's broomstick for rapid long-distance transportation -LewisMumford"
- "Drugs are effective against eye disease"
exerting force or influence
- "the law is already in effect (or in force)"
- "the law is effective immediately"
existing in fact; not theoretical; real
- "confused increased equipment and expenditure with the quantity of effective work done"
- "a decline in the effective demand"