;military action or resources protecting a country against potential enemies ;protection from harm the justification for some act or belief ;an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack
- "he joined the defense against invasion"
- ";he offered a persuasive defense of the theory"
- "sanitation is the best defense against disease"
- "they were developed for the defense program"
- "they died in the defense of Stalingrad"
- "in defense he said the other man started it"
- "the artillery battered down the defenses"
- försvar [ militärväsen ]
the defendant and his legal advisors collectively
- "the defense called for a mistrial"
a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him
- "he gave evidence for the defense"
- svaromål [ juridik ]