a style of dress, including accessories and hairdos, esp. that peculiar to a nation, region, group, or historical period.
- "The dancers wore the national costume of their country."
dress or garb characteristic of another period, place, person, etc., as worn on the stage or at balls or parties
- "When Jennifer played the lead character in the school play "Annie, Get Your Gun" she wore her old rodeo queen costume."
- "We all wore glittery costumes when we went to Louisiana for Mardi Gras."
- "The man dressed as a lion won the prize for best costume."
a set of clothes appropriate for a particular occasion or season
- "Marsha wanted to wear her swimming costume to school, but her mother wouldn't let her."
- "In spite of the heat, Gerald insisted on wearing his woolen costume."
characterized by the use of period costume or fancy dress
- "a costume movie"
- "a costume ball"