a temporary military unit
- "the peace-keeping force includes one British contingent"
- kontingent [ militärväsen ]
a gathering of persons representative of some larger group
- "each nation sent a contingent of athletes to the Olympics"
determined by conditions or circumstances not yet established
- "arms sales contingent on the approval of congress"
possible but not certain to occur
- "they had to plan for contingent expenses"
uncertain because of uncontrollable circumstances
- "the results of confession were not contingent, they were certain - George Eliot"