the event consisting of the start of something: "the beginning of the war"
the time at which something begins
the first part or section of something: "`It was a dark and stormy night' is a hackneyed beginning for a story"
the act of starting something
- "he was responsible for the beginning of negotiations"
take the first step or steps in carrying out an action: "We began working at dawn" have a beginning, in a temporal, spatial, or evaluative sense: "The DMZ begins right over the hill" set in motion, cause to start
- "begin a new chapter in your life"
- "The Iraquis began hostilities"
- "The second movement begins after the Allegro"
begin to speak or say
- "Now listen, friends, he began"