take to be the case or to be true; accept without verification or proof
- "I assume his train was late"
take on titles, offices, duties, responsibilities
- "When will the new President assume office?"
- "to assume responsibility for something that has happened"
- [ ekonomi ]
occupy or take on, as of a position or posture; We took our seats in the orchestra"
- "She took up her position behind the tree"
- "She took her seat on the stage"
- "He assumes the lotus position"
- intaga [ bildligt ]
take control of; take as one's right or possession
- "He assumed to himself the right to fill all positions in the town"
in Christianity: take up someone's soul into heaven
- "This is the day when May was assumed into heaven"