- [ kemi ]
have the quality of being; (copula, used with an adjective or a predicate noun)
- "This is not a good answer"
- "John is rich"
be identical to; be someone or something, as in "The president of the company is John Smith"
- "This is my house"
occupy a certain position or area; be somewhere; also for abstract situations and relations: "What is behind this behavior?"
- "Where is my umbrella?" "The toolshed is in the back"
happen or come to pass; "I lost my wallet; this was during the visit to my parents' house"
- "There was a lot of noise in the kitchen"
- "There were two hundred people at his funeral"
work in a specific place, with a specific subject, or in a specific function; "He is a herpetologist
- "She is our resident philosopher"
spend or use time
- "I may be an hour"
- vore [ vardagligt ]
have life, be alive
- "Our great leader is no more"
"Were" is a helping verb, in the past tense, that connects a plural subject to a verb, the subjects being You(plural), We and They.
- "They were watching a movie before I came."